Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Swim, Bike, Run

I've been throwing in some extra work-outs: crossfit, Insanity, to help build the muscles that always get ignored when I'm training for a race.  In track, the sprinters and jumpers always did extra stuff like that, speed drills and such--so I thought it would be a good idea to do the same and really prepare my body for my triathlon (and future triathlons I hope).  However, I'm a wimp.  My right ankle has been hurting since my box jumping, and as of yesterday my left quad is really tight.  I am going to do some circuit training/crossfit stuff with sit-ups, push-ups, squats--that sort of thing, but am going to cool it on the jumping and everything for now I think.  Don't want to hurt myself too badly and have to skip the race! 

So yesterday I started an Insanity video at 0630....after 10 minutes I wasn't feeling it, so I just turned it off.  At first I felt bad, but I knew I'd work out later, I just wasn't in the mood yet.  So instead I sewed.  I made three beautiful diapers out of my favorite Apple Dapple PUL print.  A pocket diaper for my cousin Brooke, an all in one diaper for her friend Erica, and a swim diaper for Rachel at work.  They are adorable, Caroline needs one now. :) 

At lunch I set Caroline and Brayden up to eat their lunch in the garage, with the door open, facing the street--so that I could do my crossfit workout from last week.  They were happy, and I was happy.  I did my 140 yard sprint (70 downhill, 70 uphill), 25 sit ups, 20 push ups, and 10 squats.  I did this for 5 rounds in 10 minutes.  I planned to go for 20 again but Caroline wanted out of her high chair, so I stopped early to keep her from screeching.

Then, when she went to bed for her afternoon nap, I headed out the door for a run.  Jordan was home, so no, I didn't leave Brayden home alone.  They were in the back yard, staining the deck.  I ran from my house to the Herky track.  4.06 miles according to RunKeeper online.  I ran it in 37:08, pretty slow, 9:09 minute miles.  My darn ankle hurt, and it was a lot warmer than I thought.  So either way, I worked out, I got it done. 

I really want to get faster, but it's hard training by yourself, when you have so many other commitments.  I work 12 hour shifts as a Labor and Delivery Nurse, I have a husband and two kids to take care of and spend time with, I have my hobby/side business of sewing, and now triathlon training....oh, and I'm attempting to participate in an advancement program at work takes a fair amount of time and effort as well...add something else to the plate.  I'm not really whining, I like being busy, but I'm just not sure how serious I can be about my racing when I have so many other things going on.

Oh, such is the life of a busy woman. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment