Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Back on the wagon

Well it has been quite a while since I dedicated any time to my poor pitiful blog, so I thought I'd get back at it. 

Recently my little sister has started a healthy lifestyle routine, eating better, exercising and losing weight...she rocks!  Along with her new lifestyle, we've begun running together again.  I know that some of you may be aware of my past life as a runner, heck, I still claim myself as a runner.  The fact of the matter is, I'm far from it.  Can I physically run, yes. Do I enjoy it, yes.  Do I do it enough, NO!  To call oneself a runner, you must actually RUN, consistently.  That is my new goal.  :)  On March 2, April (little sister) and I ran a 5K (3.1 miles) in the freezing bitter cold and snow...and it was FUN!



We ran a few races back in 2009, and I have slacked since then.  So, we are currently signing up for 3 more 5K's this spring, and I've dedicated myself to running a sprint triathlon in May!  I'm quite intimidated by the triathlon, but also excited for the challenge.  I've mapped out my workouts for the next month, and am hoping with the support of family, I'll be able to stick to it.  A great running buddy from my previous running life has also decided to race in the triathlon. It should be a good time. :)  Now on to finding gear, training, and kicking butt! 

Yesterday, I strapped the kids into my second hand, in fair shape, running stroller and went at it.  Now remember, Brayden weighs 51 pounds, Caroline weighs 23-24 pounds...and the stroller weighs atleast 25-30 pounds!  so I was pushing quite a load in front of me.  And the front wheel is fixed, which means you have to lean it back to turn it even the slightest bit. Our subdivision is also quite hilly, so I thought this to be a great workout no matter how far I went.  I am proud to say that I ran most of my 1.4 mile treck, however the ginormous hill in front of my house about killed me--and I walked!  My goal is to be able to push their heavy butts up that hill while running...we'll see. 

So today I plan to go swimming, should be fun, considering it's SNOWING outside!  I can't wait for summer! I have to swim 150 yards in the sprint tri--not too far, but farther than I'm used to swimming for sure.  Tomorrow I will bike. 

I'm excited about the next few months of training, from what I hear, triathlons are quite addictive, I may just be hooked. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment