Wednesday, March 5, 2014

When will it end?!

This winter I have spent a lot of time whining about the cold. I am in no way claiming that I plan to quit whining either, I hate winter and I hate the cold.  It is nearly impossible to convince my body to step out the door on those freezing cold days, I can't wait to run outside in a sports bra while dripping in sweat! Call me crazy (most people do), I'd much rather whine about the heat than whine about the cold. ;)

This past Sunday the weather man said we would be getting 7-10" of snow along with plenty of ice too...just in time to ruin my long run plans. I tried to tell myself it would be okay, I could do the long run on a weekday, and that it wouldn't affect my training much. But then I thought about all of the people who live in much colder conditions than I do, and they somehow manage to train all winter. I told myself I was going to be super crazy and run in the ice and snow. Thankfully the 7-10" was wrong, but the roads were covered in ice and slush and it was still coming down. I layered up my clothes more than I ever have for a run...two pairs of socks, compression shorts and tights, two long sleeved running tops (one with thumb holes, woot!), and an outer shell/jacket to be a wind barrier. Plus ear warmers, gloves and a neck gaiter to cover my face when necessary. I was warm! Until I stepped out into the 12° feels like -5° weather along with wind and freezing rain. I told myself I would just do 3 miles, 4 tops, my husband kissed me good bye and off I went. To make a long story short, it.was.awesome. it was horrible and cold and my nose was dripping like a faucet but I loved it. One man was out in his driveway and yelled to me, "Now that's dedication. Get it girl." And I got it. :) I was cold and the weather was getting worse so I knew staying out too long wouldnt be smart but I managed to get in 6 miles and I earned my first pair of icicle eyelashes,  something every girl dreams of, right?



It may have been one of the most badass things I've ever done, aside from childbirth.:) As much as I loathe this time of year, I was excited to finish this run and say I did it. I didnt let the weather or my excuses stop me. After all, this marathon isn't going to train itself. No one said it would be easy.

Since my run people have called me "crazy, cray cray, awesome, insane, dedicated, stupid" and plenty of other complimentary names. Whats the craziest thing you've trained through?Happy running! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment