Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Purees

I have recently started making my own baby food and freezing it to save for Ms. Caroline.  She is 4 1/2 months old, I plan to start introducing solids at 6 months...just decided to start making and freezing them early. So far she has sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli, blueberries and bananas waiting for her in the freezer.  Super easy to make too!  I steam all of my veggies--broccoli takes about 10 minutes, carrots take around 20, sweet potatoes took 45 minutes--and fruits don't need to be cooked at all.  Then I toss each veggie or fruit in my knock off "Magic Bullet" that I purchased from Aldi and ta-da.  I add water as needed to the veggies, sweet potatoes and carrots took a considerable amount of water to make soft enough.  Fruits don't need any extra water.  I have plans to puree a butternut squash soon. :)  

My baby food making idea came from a book my mom bought me LAST Christmas.  "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld.  She uses purees hidden in each recipe in order to get her kids to eat the dreaded fruits and veggies.  Brayden LOVED every fruit or vegetable I put in front of him as a baby.  As he grew and figured out other foods existed, he began refusing these good for you foods.  So, as of this week he has eaten carrots, cauliflower and bananas--all of which he would regularly refuse.  I have made deviled eggs and mashed potatoes with cauliflower puree, burgers with carrot puree, grilled cheese with sweet potatoe puree (Brayden missed out on these when he spent the night with Grandma), and peanut butter muffins with banana and cauliflower purees.  All have been delicious, and no one has noticed my secret additions. So, for all of you who are sceptical and for those of you dying to get your kids to eat their veggies, check out Jessica Seinfeld's book for all of her secrets.  Try out my latest recipe and see for yourself...

Peanut Butter & Banana Muffins:

1/2 cup banana puree
1/2 cup cauliflower or carrot puree
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1 large egg white
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray muffin pan or use paper baking cups.

*In a large mixing bowl, mix 1/2 cup of the brown sugar with the peanut butter, the veggie puree and banana puree, and the egg white using a spoon

*Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a seperate bowl.

*Combine wet and dry ingredients, leave batter slightly lumpy--do not overmix. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of brown sugar and stir once or twice (this makes the exterior of the muffins crunchy)

*Back for 15-20 minutes until slightly brown on top and a toothpick comes out clean.

*Store in airtight container at room temp for up to 2 days, or wrap individually and freeze for 1 month. 

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment